3.22.2009

What I'm Planting This Year

As far as the previously published yard plan is concerned, I'm only executing a small fraction of it this year. This will likely be the only section I'll ever execute, in fact. I'm a renter and there's just not a lot of incentive to pour time and money into the yard unless I know I'm going to be here long enough to really benefit from the investment.

All I will do is install the vegetable garden and the strip of sunflowers along the southern border of the property. Yesterday, I used my employee discount for the first time to get myself a number of seeds. I purchased:

  • Italian Roma Tomatoes
  • SMR-58 Pickling Cucumbers
  • Tyee Hybrid Spinach
  • Waltham 29 Broccoli
  • Autum Beauty Sunflowers
  • Soybeans
  • Russet Norkotah Seed Potatoes

I may plant some strawberries as well. I'll have to decide on those pretty soon if I'm gonna pull the trigger on that one.

Right now, the next step is to lay out the borders of my beds and dig up the sod in those areas. Gosh, sometimes it seems like the only landscaping task I execute with any regularity is digging up sod.

No comments: