10.19.2006

Inflatable Klingon War-Birds

In Robert Jordan's blog, a recent entry talks about how a writer friend had died. One of the works of this fellow that Jordan mentions is "How Much For Just The Planet?" Jordan considers this to be the only Star Trek comedy ever written.

The little gears in my brain start spinning and I think to myself, "I've read what can only be described as a Star Trek comedy. I wonder if it's the same book?" I pop over to Amazon and look the title up. Sure enough, it IS the novel in question, one of only two I've ever consumed.

I'm not sure I would consider it "good" but it does contain a number of hilarious descriptive scenes that to this day occasionally pop into mind when my brain starts wandering. Just to get a sense of what this literary masterpiece contains, here's a short list of things I remember.
  • Di-lithium cookies sheets.
  • A partially inflated Klingon War-Bird.
  • A Pie fight between the crew of the Enterprise and a number of Klingon diplomats.
  • A replicator that uncontrollably spits peppermint milkshake all over the inside of a cramped escaped pod.
  • An avian-based humanoid star fleet officer that eats what looks like a bird seed ice cream cone.
Good times.

No comments: