12.06.2007

Random Plant Stuff

So I spent a sizable chunk of the day working out 2008's Landscaping Plan for our yard. I'm happy to report that the cherry tree in our front yard is, in fact, a Japanese Flowering Cherry (Prunus Serrulata). It may or may not be of the 'Ukon' variety and there's really no way to tell for sure until next spring, when I can get a good look at the blossoms. Nailing down the exact species would not have been possible if I had not been able to walk out and pick the literal last leaf on the tree and compare it to an image from the internet.

In other happy news, I've also decided on the other two "architectural" plants I'm going to install in the patch of lawn the cherry tree currently has all to itself.

One is going to be what's called a Smoke Tree (Cotinus coggygria) and will no doubt look spectacular in that location, particularly if I can get my hands on the 'Royal Purple' variety.

The other is going to be what's known as a Burning Bush (Euonymus alatus 'Compactus'). I find it funny that I'm going to have a plant in my yard that has a name that implies that it's on fire. Perhaps I'll jokingly refer to it as the "gay bush." That being said, in the fall the it really is on fire.

No comments: