8.13.2007

Can A Professional League Be Next?

I was mildly amused when roller-derby was ironically resuscitated on the emergency room table a few years back. What do I mean by this? Simply that I knew of a people that were members (or wanted to be members) of a female league. Rat City Roller Girls or something.

But this? I just don't know what to say. Imagine my amusement when I was told last week that Olga would be attending a friend's kickball tournament. Kickball? Tournament? That game we played in grade school because we weren't yet coordinated enough to play baseball and softball? Are you being serious? No, apparently you're being ironic. I hoped that it was simply a momentary outbreak but alas I was wrong. It's a full fledged epidemic.

How so? Simply this. I'm at Verite and logging into the wireless network. A cute little welcome screen pops up and simultaneously lets me know that I'm in and that new t-shirts are available. New t-shirts that will strike fear into the heart's of your opponents on the kickball field with their un-holy ironic badassness. There!!! That's what I mean! It's a conspiracy.

Personally I can't wait until the harvesters of irony stripmine nostalgia down to where they're reduced to advertising Cops and Robbers tournaments.

No comments: