11.15.2007

Playtesting Is Hard Work

Progress on the card game is still firmly mired in the playtesting stage, as it has been for about the last six months. It really is a process that resembles taking three steps forward followed by two steps back.

If you had talked to me a few weeks ago I would have told you that the game design was nearly complete and I'd be printing the production deck sometime in January or February assuming I had the cash to do so. But now? I don't quite know, probably more like March or April. During playtest a couple of things kept happening over and over. At first I thought these events (let's call them "getting Meaganed" and "Rachaeling") were just random, but when they showed up in pretty much every single playtest game I concluded that they must actually be design flaws in the game.

The problem was, really fixing these problems so that no one could ever get "Meaganed" and it was very very hard to "Rachael" meant that I had to redesign the game on a fairly significant level. Good thing I've gotten pretty proficient at coming up with new rules and re-designing cards. Seriously, this re-design is fairly comprehensive and I pumped out 2/3rd of the new card design in two days. Of course, that also shows it really shouldn't take me a year to put together my next product.

No comments: