10.04.2005

Oi Vey

Yes, my new life as a graduate student has started in earnest. Six hours of class on Monday. Three hours on Tuesday. Five hours on Wednesday. Two hours on Thursday and a whole HOUR on Friday. Yes, I'm being oppressed by the 17 hour work-week. For those of you who think that's nothing, let me just explain that my brain HURTS at the end of the day on Monday.

But still, life is grand.

I absolutely LOVE the weather in Davis. Last week it was in the high 90's. I mean, the high on Wednesday, September 28th was 97 DEGREES. I walked outside during the part of the day when the temperature is at its maximum and thought, "Hmmm, it's kind of warm today." Biking between classes on campus in the sun is just "the bomb."

I also find myself walking through buildings on campus and thinking, "I wonder if this is where I would be attacked by vampires if this were Sunnydale."

School has definitely been a challenge, but it's a challenge I'm fairly confident I'm up to. The small amount of studying that I did before school started has really paid off. I just need to make sure that I maintain my lead on the material, except in the rare cases where it actually works better to read the text AFTER the class. Statistical Thermodynamics is like that. Professor Faller (the guy teaching it) is personable enough, but his notation sometimes literally looks like a flock of birds and he's not teaching the material in the manner that I would. But then, he's a professor and I'm not, so maybe my notation IS supposed to look like it's going to fly south for the winter.

I'm thinking about starting a play by post D&D game on ENworld.org. Apparently, those types of games take ten hours to resolve a single round of combat and I could see myself having time for that. Those of you who read my blog and are interested should let me know. It'd probably be something simple to start with, to see if it's worth doing.

3 comments:

the beastlet said...

Give me more details. I think I might be interested. I have found that more time, now that I'm not trying to coordinate when I'll see Robert. he just comes home :-)

Anonymous said...

That was one nice thing about WSU. It didn't rain much, so I could bike to class pretty much all fall and spring.

I'm not much into biking on a solid sheet of ice, so I didn't bike much during the winter.

My poor bike. I should give it a proper burial.

- Charles ("what the hell was my user name and password again??") Morley

helium3 said...

Details. Nothing ultra-specific at this point. I'll be using EN-World to handle the posts. So, go there and create a profile. I'll post a recruiting thread in a couple of days. The details of character generation and stuff like that are posted there.

The first one I'm going to do is just going to be a quick game for 1st level characters. I've never done it before and the dynamics are kinda different.