10.23.2005

Happy Black Sabbath!!!

No, I'm not converting to Satanism.

Stromboli slept off her overindulgence and by this morning was feeling rather feisty. We engaged in bit of play fighting and chase and I eventually got her so worked up that she started doing the weird sideways charge/razorback cat thing she does. It's always so cute and I need to get a picture of it. She'd probably be embarresed if she could understood that I thought it was cute, as I suspect I'm supposed to be intimidated.

I started thinking about the music that I've been listening to and it occured to me that, oddly enough, I really like guitar music. Only, it has to be actual guitar music that isn't just endlessly repeated power cords. It sort of explains why I appear to simultaneously enjoy Black Sabbath, Dick Dale and old Pink Floyd. So yeah, weird.

Now if only I could explain why I like those types of music AND some of the more melodic forms of electronic music. My suspicion is that what I'm grooving on is the complexity in the song. I don't like guitar when it's just power chords, though I can like songs that have lot's of power chords if there's something else that's holding the song together. I like techno, but I don't like it when it's too fast and the overall beat of the song starts overwhelming other aspects.

So yeah, good music needs to be complicated but still simple enough to have some kind of a rhythm. For example, I don't seem to like Opera and as near as I can tell, Opera is usually pretty light on the rhythm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you liked Dick Dale.

That really sounds like my problem. Well, it's only a "problem" in that I don't have a "scene" musically. I like complexity in music, and decent lyrics, which means I'm all over the board liking some in a genre and not others. I suppose that would also explain why I like some electronica.

Still sucks because I can't always fit into a crowd. "What the fuck is a milkshake again??"

~ Charles

Robert Farley said...

How weird. If your reasons for liking the Sabbath are accurate, then you should REALLY like Led Zeppelin or Metallica. But I've never thought of you as the type. . .

Would be an interesting test.