1.15.2006

"Bareback Mountain"

Scottland and I saw it at the Strip Mall Mega-Complex in Natomas, just north of Sacramento. We both agreed that while it was an average movie, it was certainly the best gay movie either of us had ever seen.

We both agree that the cut-away scene that briefly appears while Ennis is getting some bad news in a phone booth was uneccesary and very trite. One of those, "this is what happens to homos" sort of things and just not needed. We don't like that it was very ambigous as to whether the cut-away was real or imagined. My guess is that it was imagined since it involved a crow-bar and that was specifically mentioned in Ennis' boy-hood story.

I just didn't think it added much to the movie, although we did spend ten minutes discussing three seconds of film, so maybe its inclusion was a good thing after all.

Basically, I liked the movie in spite of the fact that it was relentlessly depressing. I would have liked to see Ennis get something other than a likely case of lung cancer.

Also, we noticed that Jack's wife's father was the XO of the Pegasus from Battlestar Galactica. I know this because Scottland shouted it out in the theatre. We both then said "Frack you."

I don't really know what else to say, besides "Jake, Scottland and I would like to invite you on a lovely island getaway."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the short story (it's pretty easy to track down the pdf online), and the scene I think you're talking about was fairly ambiguous in the story. The character (I forgot which) suspected this had happened to the other character (I don't know his name either, I lose track of these things.. probably because I don't really care), but doesn't ever really get it confirmed. The only "confirmation" is blood on a shirt. I don't know, it's not unheard of, but I agree... I'm tired of every movie fag having a tragic ending. I mean, wow, does every gay man die?

Maybe after this movie, things will get a bit better. Then again, I don't really trust Hollywood not to break with stereotypes that easily.

~ charles