1.04.2006

Home Again

I'm back in Davis now. It's wet. Apparently the place was deluged with rain while I was gone. It's been much more Seattle-like since my return, ie gray and slightly drizzly. When I was being driven from the airport to Davis, I noticed that the Sacramento was only a couple of feet short of the top of the levee. Apparently it had come down a bit since the highest point of the flood.

My first day of class is tomorrow, I think. I'm not actually sure that there are classes tomorrow, but it's the first day of instruction. I'll go to the class room and see if anyone else shows up. I'm only taking two classes this quarter, advanced reaction engineering and molecular modelling. Both classes are apparently fairly heavy on the numerical techniques, so I may really enjoy my classes this quarter.

I'll also be working in Professor Sen's lab for the first five weeks of the quarter. It'll be interesting to see how that goes. I'll stop by his office tomorrow and find out when he actually wants me in the lab. It looks like I'll be analyzing glass dispersed 3/5 semiconductor nano-particles using some sort of infra-red spectroscopic technique. Other projects were available, but it sounds like this one can be done in the five weeks alloted and might lead to an actual publication.

On a different note, say hello to Tropical Storm Zeta. Zeta has a fairly good chance of becoming a hurricane in the next day or so. Ummm, someone really needs to tell the Atlantic Ocean that hurricane season ended a month ago.

No comments: