1.17.2006

Martin Luther King Hates Sodomites

So I'm at the MU today, and there are two lovely gentlemen standing in front of it holding large placards on sticks. On one side of both placards is a picture of Rev. Martin Luther King and the inspirational message, "I have a dream." On the other side of the placards are alternately "Racism and Sodomy are Sins!!" and "End Racism and Sodomy Today!!!"

I pointed the placards out to one of my fellow students and launched into a riff about how amazing it was that someone had found the lost portion of King's "I have a dream" speech where he specifically went into the evils of sodomy and how it was a menace equivalent to racism. Rumor had it that he had been forced to cut that part of the speech out at the last minute on account of time constraints.

While we ate lunch we watched as the occasional (Obviously America Hating Liberal) pedestrian walked up to the two champions of love and tolerance (unless you happen to have thought Brokeback Mountain was a good movie) and bitch at them about utilizing a symbol of tolerance to promote an agenda of intolerance.

Of course, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that King would have agreed with the message these two gentlemen were promoting. He lived in a completely different era and the Black community is quite well known for having an "issue" with homosexuality in modern day.

I contemplated going up to them as well and giving them a piece of my mind, but decided that they would probably reveal that they had explosives underneath their bulkly overshirts and blow me up. It's what the Rev. King (in addition to Jesus) would have wanted them to do. Eric (the other student) pointed out that they would probably be cross shaped explosives. I added that the explosives would probably be filled with little cross shaped bits of shrapnel that have been blessed by the Pope. Eric pointed out that they probably didn't like the Pope. He may be right, but I'm sure the Pope would have liked them.

I need to get a digital camera for these sort of moments.

No comments: