2.27.2006

Wet Squall

Apparently, a tropical air mass has impacted the southwestern US coast. It caused some rather interesting events this evening.



So my roommate Carolyn and I are sitting in the living room talking about the dogs when the wind really starts picking up and the rain starts pounding down. We run outside and watch in astonishment as somewhere around an inch of water comes down in only a few minutes while the trees are whipping around on account of the strong gusts of wind that are blowing through. We both thought it was really weird.

About 15 minutes later Carolyn is watching TV and I'm in my room when I hear the emergency broadcast system come on. I pad out to the living room and sure enough, it's not a test. Basically, there's a extreme thunderstorm warning for the middle valley being posted. A squall line is passing through at 40 mph and we can expect heavy winds (gusts to 60) and heavy rains. The warning then advised everyone to seek shelter in doors and away from windows. Then it repeated in Spanish.

Now, what's kind of funny is that we got the warning about 15 minutes after it happened and were outside when it blew through.

After I figured out what was going on, I went to weather.com and found the local 300 mile doppler radar loop. On that loop you can clearly see the squall line as it's the vertical line of orange. The pictures are in chronological order from earliest to latest.





























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We didn't get rain here, but we got strong gusts of winds starting at 4 am Monday morning. The wind literally blew shingles off roofs and knocked down a stop sign down the street. There were huge fir branches everywhere and people still have no power. I went outside to make sure everything was tied down and, man, that wind was warm. I'd say 65-70 degrees out. A bright white light flashed across the night sky twice. At first I thought lightning, but it was clear out, so I assume a power station blew. Don't know. Someone told me the wind got up to 55 mph. I could believe that. And this is pretty common this year. Ah, good times, good times.

~ Charles