2.26.2009

Click . . . Match . . . Power Up!!!

On Tuesday morning I went through and played a number of different click match games with the hope that doing so would help me to sharpen up my concept for "Beer Pong.

On the one hand, I don't think I've seen a "Click-Match" game that used a hex-grid before. I want to take full advantage of what could be a novel play experience. On the other hand, Beer Pong isn't supposed to be a full fledged product. Its intent is to provide me with enough practic with Javascript to get me to the point where I can comfortably say "I know Javascript" in an interview and keep a straight face.

Looking at "Click-Match" games, it seems like they can be described using a couple of pretty basic descriptors. Mind you, I've only played a couple of different games so far, so this break-down is most likely utterlly incomplete.

What CM Games Have In Common

  • In every case, there are multiple discrete objects (the tiles) that are contained within the playspace of a CM game.
  • The most important thing in a CM game is the relationship of these tiles to one another.
  • A player's manipulation of these tiles within the context of these relationships is the heart of a CM game.

How CM Games Tend To Differ

  • Game Condition - This what determines when a game ends.
  • Level Condition - This is what determines when a level in the game ends.
  • Score Condition - This is what determines when points in a game are scored.
  • Movement Mode - How the player manipulates the position of tiles within the game space.
  • Movement Conditions - Restrictions placed on the movement of tiles within the play space.
  • Power Ups - Instances where the player is able to flout the normal conditions imposed on the game.
  • Flavor -The visual and audio interface bolted onto the game mechanics.

I'll talk about some of the different games specifically in my next post. For now, I need to get back to work on "Beer Pong."

No comments: