9.27.2005

Scottland's Visit

He visited me again last weekend.

It was fantastic weekend and also very laid back. We had no specific plans other than to visit some friends on his in Sacramento on Saturday night.

We ate dinner on Friday at Del Taco, which is my favorite new fast food restaurant. There's just something wonderful about a place that serves both burritos and french fries. They serve burgers too, but I haven't had one those yet. After that, we went back to my place and watched the two episodes of BSG between Home, Part Deux and Pegasus. All in all, pretty good episodes. As was the case with Dr. Farley, I enjoyed Flight of the Phoenix a lot more than I was expecting to. Any episode where someone points a gun at Tigh's head is a good episode in my book. I still haven't seen Pegasus, but will probably see it in the near future when Scottland mails me a video tape with the episode on it.

One of the big things that we've needed to figure out w/r/t to the long distance relationship thing is whether or not it's going to work to have weekends where I spend a significant fraction of my time studying while he's reading, writing or out doing something in Sac/Davis. We did that on Saturday afternoon and it worked out just fine. We went to campus, (ostensibily to study at the library but found out it was closed on Sundays until the term starts) sat on the grass and had about two hours of rarely interrupted quiet time. He wrote and I studied. So, it looks like that's one thing I'm not going to have to worry about.

Later that evening, we went to a pretty good mexican place in downtown Sac called "Zocalos." As I said that night, "The food is good, the drinks are good, the way the restaurant looks is great but the music sucks." Basically, after about 8PM, very pretty people started sitting at and standing around the bar. At about the same time, the music got a lot louder and turned all thumpy-bass-techno on us. That made it sort of hard to talk. But, like I said, the food and drinks were really good so I didn't mind too much.

Fred and Tom (Scottland's friends that we met for dinner) showed us the various gay bars after that. There are apparently five of them and the onese we saw all sorta reminded me of changes on 45th. We didn't see the "bear bar" that was located further away, so maybe that one won't be quite so . . . sketchy. But whatever, I hate gay bars anyway. Oddly, we saw one guy at one of the bars that I saw at a coffee shop in Davis. The only reason I really remembered him is becase he has this thing implanted into the side of his head. My suspicion is that the's had brain surgery recently and the "implant" is a way for surgeons to re-enter and tinker with his gray matter without having to complete detach the skull again. But, I don't really know. Scottland and I agreed that, minus the implant, the guy was pretty foxxy.

After we checked out the gay bars, we went back to Tom and Fred's (they've been living together for something like 18 years now and yet are not dating) and watched The Incredibles on their SUPER FANCY HIGH DEFINITION WIDE SCREEN FLAT PLASMA DISPLAY. I kid you not, it was like watching the movie in the theatre in terms of picture clarity. Needless to say, Scottland and I are now both lusting after a consumer electronics item. Personally, I feel kinda dirty about my lustful feelings as I'm generally pretty asexual when it comes to shiny stuff like that.

Sunday, we just slept in and then had breakfast at Cindy's. Scottland was freaked out by his overly orange orange juice that didn't taste like orange juice until I pointed out that it was probably "extra orange" and different tasting because the waitress was squeezing it from REAL oranges at the counter. Then he realized it was orange juice that tasted like actual oranges, which makes me wonder why orange juice from the store apparently neither looks nor tastes like REAL orange juice. Needless to say, far too much thought for a Sunday morning breakfast in Davis. The much vaunted cinnamon rolls were adequate, but I can certainly cook better. Still, I liked it more than Baker's Square, which is the California version of Sharis except with more pies.

So yeah, it was a good weekend. Not super exciting, but good. I'm a simple guy, so I was just pleased to see Scottland . . . and the high definition television.

On a side note, when I got back from campus today (where I was getting my new student ID that looks NOTHING like me thanks to the weird angle my head was at when it was taken) a lady was delivering a dozen red roses to yours truly. Yet again, Scottland ROCKS.

No comments: